Online therapy is becoming more common as technology becomes an integral part of our everyday lives. Not only is online therapy convenient, but it also provides you with another tool that can help you treat and manage your mental health.
What is online therapy?
Telebehavioral health is another term for online therapy. You may also see terms like telebehavioral health or teletherapy being used by healthcare providers who provide remote and digital services to their clients.
Anytime you’re receiving treatment from a therapist online via phone, text, apps, or websites, you are taking part in telepsychology services.
Benefits of telepsychology:
- Treatment can be accessed from anywhere
- Patients in rural areas can speak with a therapist who might otherwise be out of reach
- Online communication can be more comfortable for people who have health conditions that prevent them from going to a face-to-face appointment
- People with disabilities or chronic illnesses can receive treatment without leaving home
- Parents who cannot find child care are able to stay home during their appointments
- Individuals involved in the legal system can receive treatment without violating house arrest or probation
The American Telehealth Association as well as independent researchers throughout the world consistently find that clients using telehealth services are happy with their treatment and rate it as equal to in-person therapy.
There are many paths to good mental health. Be open to exploring different types of therapy. The best course of action is to first find a therapist that you trust. Then, if you want to explore your options, you can ask about telehealth services and see what they recommend for your particular mental illness and diagnosis.
If you’d like to get the opinion of a mental health professional, contact us at one of our counseling centers. We’ll help you get set up with the right services for you.