Mental health is just as important as physical health. There are simple ways you can practice healthy habits and self-care every day to improve your mental health. Practicing an attitude of gratitude and forgiveness can help you let go of past hurts, while activities, like taking a walk in nature or exercising daily, can help improve both mental and physical health.
Counseling, along with practicing healthy habits, can help you cope with symptoms of anxiety, depression, grief, trauma, or other mental health concerns. Here are 10 easy ways to boost your mental health, from Mental Health America, that you can practice every day.
10 ways to boost your mental health
- Write down what you’re thankful for in a daily gratitude journal.
- Do an activity you are good at to build your self-confidence.
- Get creative. Write, paint, or cook a new recipe.
- Take a walk in nature.
- Unplug from your phone and laptop. Do a fun activity with someone, face-to-face.
- Dance more! Dancing reduces the stress-hormone cortisol and increases feel-good endorphins.
- Take a warm, Epsom salt bath which can boost magnesium levels that get depleted by stress.
- Spend time with animals by volunteering at a shelter or showing love to your furry friend. This can boost oxytocin and feelings of happiness.
- Practice mindfulness, and living in the moment, rather than worrying about the future or the past.
- Be more forgiving, even if it’s for small annoyances like being cut-off in traffic. Those who practice forgiveness report higher levels of satisfaction in their lives.
If you’re wanting to improve your mental health, counseling can help. Here are four tips for your first counseling experience that you might find helpful. You can also read our guide on how to find the best therapist for you. We have counseling centers in Kissimmee, Florida and Chattanooga, Tennessee.